It’s been a while since I’ve updated you all on my wedding plans and I thought today would be the perfect opportunity. This is something that I’ve thought about writing for some time now but never really got round to it. Choosing your bridesmaid squad is very important and there’s a lot of factors that you should take into account – so grab a glass a wine (it’s Wednesday, who cares) and pull up a chair while I talk you through my top things to consider when picking your bridesmaids.
1. Think twice before asking someone to be your bridesmaid, once you’ve asked it’s difficult to take it back.
2. This leads me onto my second point, don’t ask everyone when you’re tipsy. It may seem like an awesome idea at the time but it’s just not the wisest move.
3. Don’t ask someone just because they asked you.
4. It’s not how long you’ve known someone for that counts, it’s the quality of time that you’ve spent with that person. It’s cool that I have been friends with “Susan” since kindergarten but if I haven’t spoken to her in years, do I really want her to be a bridesmaid at my wedding? Probably not.
5. Choose your bridesmaids wisely and honestly, it’s usually such an honour to be asked and both you and them will remember this moment for years to come.
6. Don’t worry about offending your friends – if I asked all my girlfriends I would have 50 girls at the side of me (slight exaggeration there but you get what I mean). They will understand if you haven’t asked them to be bridesmaids and that the day is about you and not them. Well that’s if they’re true friends anyway.
7. Choose your maid of honour wisely. For me there was no doubt in my mind that it was going to be my Sister, but it might not be so straight forward for others.
8. Don’t panic if you have more or less bridesmaids than the groom has best-men. It doesn’t look odd so don’t worry.
9. Stop stressing, once you have decided on your girls – relax and enjoy the wedding planning process.
10. Take your time in making your decision, there is no rush.